Dog Poisoning

Posted by Chris 9/17/13

Chris said: This mushroom was found by a dog owner and she wonders if it is poisonous.
She recently had to have a dog treated due to ingesting another mushroom that had not been identified. She is now wanting to proactively identify her yard occupants....

It was found in Salem, OR, at the edge of a covered walkway, near the grass line, not under trees. However, they do believe that they have an Elm tree in the back yard, approximately 7 feet away from this location.

We are performing a spore print currently, so do not know the spore color as yet.

Thank you for your help with possible identification.

Sava said:I don't know what this mushroom is exactly; I bet that it’s some Inocybe. That’s a large genus with no know edibles and a lot of really poisonous species.

Please break one of the caps and see if the flesh has spermatic odor. (Crush the cap between your fingers to enhance the odor, if necessary.) If it does, then it’s almost certainly an Inocybe. Spore print should be dull brown. A positive identification would require some microscopy.

Mike said: I'm just a bystander in this topic, but I'm rather in the dark about so-called "spermatic" odors. Are there other common substances to which the Inocybe odor can be likened?

Chris said: I do not identify much odor at all,
I have taken a photograph of the gills with what I think shows a spore
(..I could easily be wrong).
Maybe that is helpful?

Skye said: Does it stain bluish or any color when cut or bruised? A better picture of the entire cap surface would be helpful.

So far it looks somewhat like Inocybe hirsuta var.
maxima or Inocybe calamistrata, but they usually have a fishy smell or some kind of smell when cut or crushed and some kind of color change when injured. They are suspected of being poisonous. Skye

Chris said:There maybe a slightly darker brown color change when bruised and definitely no fishy smell (I'm quite sensitive to that smell). I am attaching additional pictures of the entire cap surface.

Sava said: Since you have a microscope, can you mount a tiny piece of a gill edge in water and look at it using a 40x objective (or 100x). Are the spores perhaps nodulose?

Chris said: , I realized after I submitted it that I should have described how I obtained the pic better.

I don't really think what I photographed was a spore at any rate.

FYI: I didn't do well placing the gill on on the slide,

it was too thick to focus well at the higher magnification and I'm still not seeing anything on my spore print, but I'm new at making them.

I'm going to leave it overnight (and I have started one on black paper too), and will check tomorrow.

I will place the print under to see how it works.
( I did this with one that Taylan had prepared from a previous mushroom that I can see what it should look like.

I actually used a piece of that spore print and placed under the microscope and was able to identify the spores very hopefully this technique will work for this one)

I will post a photograph of what I find tomorrow. This is completely absorbing! Thank you for all your input
. I could become obsessed with this, I can tell. :)

Do offer some comments: Message will go to Elmer
Type your message in the box below and include your name

Put your name here.................